Monday, August 24, 2009

Two things worth mentioning

Two things that I want to make sure and blog about more for journaling sake then any other are; First, I took the girls to get a haircut and realized that this was the first haircut Emily has ever gotten in her life. It seems a little weird but...she must have got my hair poor girl. It grows so slow! She loved being in a "real" salon and took it very seriously!


Now the second thing I must blog about I will refrain from using any pictures (although I did take a picture of the book for my scrapbook). I sat down with Taylor and gave him "the talk". I am sure you can guess what "the talk" is all about. Joe and I decided that he was old enough, that we wanted him to hear it from us, and he had been asking a few questions so it was time. I borrowed a few books, skimmed a few chapters, said a prayer and went for it! I think I can say that I have been initiated into a new category of Motherhood. What a funny experience! First I must say that it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. A few times I had to try really hard to keep it together while watching Taylor's reaction. While describing certain things he leaned his head back, his eyes got as big as saucers and he said, "how does he do that?" I couldn't help myself but laugh a little bit. I had told Taylor that after we talked I would teach him how to make rice Krispies. Periodically through out "the talk" he would give this nervous laugh and ask if it was time to make the rice Krispies. In the end I felt good about it, and was pleased with his reaction but I wondered what he really thought since he said he didn't have any questions and quickly left the room. Two days later Joe said that Taylor came into the bathroom early that morning and said, Hey dad, isn't it amazing how babies are made? Phew!!! I am glad that is over. Joe, you get the next boy talk! I don't think it will be as easy with the girls...I am gearing up for a few more questions and discussion. I love being a Mom!

7 comments:

Cami said...

Kathryn, my brave fiend. Maybe
I can come over and you can give me a few pointers as I have been trying to figure out how to have that same talk with Valaree. I have to say, as I read this entry, I could imagine sweet Taylor, huge, embarrased grin, red cheeks and his nervous giggle. I bet it's a relief to have it over with! And I can't wait to see Emily's hair and hear the story I am sure she will be ready and willing to share.

Jenn said...

Ah, motherhood!! You wouldn't believe some of the questions my kids have asked as a result of this very conversation.

Linda said...

You are a wise mother to communicate this God given creative experience to Taylor. It isn't easy but with what kids get hit with and at such a young age in schools, from their peers, the media, and even from other adults, it is a necessary and beautiful opportunity to share something spiritual with them. Good job Mom! And yes, you should give Joe that opportunity!

Chris and Aubrey said...

I am hoping Chris will give Prest the talk before he leaves. Not looking forward to the "clinic" they have for 5th graders. Love ya Aubs

Mrs. James Quigley said...

We had the same talk with Greyson, our 8 year old this summer. It went well, we did it at Olive Garden. James did most of the talking...it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. So far so good. I feel better sending him to school with our words in his head not some sketchy things he heard at recess. Way to go! I could never have done it by myself.

Andrea said...

Congrats on getting it over with! We just recently had the talk with Kyler because I wanted him to hear from me first and not the school. Its funny how we get so nervous and worked up about it and the children always takes it in stride :)

jolley time said...

oh I love this story Poor poor Taylor all he wanted to do was make rice krispys and instead he got the birds and the bees. You make me laugh. I am so glad that I have a few more years before Conner learns that stuff