Friday, June 19, 2009

Swim lessons...I thought they were a good idea!

It seemed like a good idea to sign the kids up for swim lessons before we left on vacation...but Emily had a few growing pains. The first day all three kids had a great time even though they were a little cold. Emily took off with her cousin Gent, headed to the kiddie pool and loved it.

Taylor and Makayla took off and never looked back, in fact loved it and learned a lot. They even started to learn how to dive in to the deep end.



Emily, on the other hand pretty much spent the next two days hysterical, sobbing, screaming, etc. when they decided to only be in the "BIG" pool. It freaked her out to say the least. I was asked to not interfere in hopes she would get use to it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but I have lots of witnesses. After hardly being able to stand it any longer (how many times can you have your child run to you begging you to help her only to have them drag her back) my friend stepped in. She has been a life guard and swim instructor and told the pool manager what she was going to do, put on her bathing suit and got in the water. She had Emily kicking a little by the end of the 1/2 hour. That night Emily agreed to go back to swim lessons only if Susan would get back in the water with her. I had heard every excuse to not go back to include, "I am going to drown, Mom"...to..."I can't get out of the car because I think I am SeaSick!" (I had a good laugh when I heard that one) so when she said she would get in the water I was very happy.
Long story short...Susan didn't have to get back into the water because Emily decided to trust her female instructor. Today being the last day this is what I saw.

So in the end... swim lessons were definitely a good idea. I wish we were going to be around so that they could continue.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Got to love swim lessons!! Getting Emily to float on her back is a huge success and standing back and letting some instructor do their thing is hard for a Mom. Way to go!! Have a great vacation, when do you leave?

jenn gent said...

Tell Emily I completely understand! I cried through swim lessons. I wish I could say my story had a happy ending and that it eventually got better but I still can't swim! :)

Julie said...

Jacki's first lessons was very similar. Her swim instructor had on a full body swim suit (because of his shingle scars) and she totally freaked out. I thought if I left the pool area she would calm down, but I was wrong. The next day she only agreed to get in the pool and behave herself if she was able to get a new "Polly Pocket", so she spent the first 10 minutes of the lessons, chanting "Polly Pocket, Polly Pocket" over and over again. You have to love kids!!!

jolley time said...

Just so you feel better Conner did the same thing last year and he really loves to swim. Something about getting in with the instructor really feaked him out. I ended up getting in the water with him and had to bring Summer too who loved it. In the end I taught Conner to swim and the instructor taught Summer. We are going to try again this year and hope it will work better.