Over 12 years ago when Joe and I were dating he asked me what I thought of the Military, specifically the United States Marine Corps? I think at the time I would have answered whatever I thought he wanted to hear but in reality my answer was sincere. I didn't really have a strong opinion on it one way or the other. I didn't really know much about the military. It actually sounded a little exciting to me. Little did I know that very question would affect many years of our life together. When Joe was in Iraq it was some of the toughest months we have ever faced but also some of the most blessed months too. I can no longer read a patriotic email, or a military story, watch the news on the War in Iraq, or hear anything about veterans without becoming emotional. I am so grateful for the sacrifice that Joe made and so many other men and women have made for our freedom. I am so thankful for those that continue to serve in these unstable and scary times. To all of you, Happy Veteran's Day! I am thinking about you!

Our first of many formal Marine Corps functions.
Quantico, Virginia 1997

This was taken the week that Joe got home from Iraq.
Bozeman, MT 2003
6 comments:
Happy Veteran's Day, Joe & Kathryn! Thank you both.
I love it! I'm with you on the emotional part--I look back on our Navy days with gratitude for the military and for the eternal friends we made. I hear you about tagging--I felt somewhat obligated when I was tagged (former young woman) so do not feel like you have to! And I am excited to see you on Thursday! I will call in the afternoon.
Thanks to you all...Happy Veteran's Day!! Love the picture of you and Joe!
Hey Uncle Joe-
Thanks for everything you did to help our country. The other day we had an assembly for school and put veterans names we knew on stars and it created a flag, so i made a star for you and Grandpa Coil. I remember the day we went ot the air port with all the posters when you got home. So yep... thanks for everything. You guys are an awesome aunt and uncle!!!
Love, Megan
Thank you Joe!!! Love the pictures!!
I was just thinking about this the other day, Joe being in the service that is. Is he still in the reserve? James works with the Air National Guard here and it makes me miss our military days. Thanks Joe and all who served and continue to do so!
Post a Comment