There comes a time and you know it is coming but it doesn't make it any easier when your son will start participating in "scouting" activities. The time is NOW!
Taylor has known how to ride a bike for a while but truthfully does not have a lot of "stick time" on his bike. When they announced they were taking the cub scouts for a bike ride I was a little nervous. Never the less, I got the bike tuned up and ready and had him spend some time practicing around the cul de sac. Then I heard that they were going to have them all cross the highway and ride to the golf course instead of starting at the golf course. I started to panic. I was able to visualize the most horrific, terrible, very real accident while crossing the highway. I was near tears. I asked Joe if he would ride with the boys. After quite the discussion and him telling me I was overreacting (which I was) he agreed to go. (Thanks Honey!)
The next day Taylor was so excited. Joe thought they should just ride from home to the church where they would be starting out because it would give him good practice. It is a mile and a half to the church from our house but I wasn't sure Taylor could handle it. Joe basically told me to calm down and they were off.
Much to my relief he came home, ended up riding a different course and not crossing over the highway, and lit a fire of love for riding. Taylor has been begging to go on more bike rides when ever he can. According to Joe, he fell several times but always got back on. He is getting better with every ride.

No comments:
Post a Comment