Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The things we parents do for our children!


Zhu Zhu pets! Have you heard of them? Well I have! Let me tell you about it...Back in October Makayla told me she wanted a Zhu Zhu pet. She kept trying to show me the commercial so I would know what they were. About all I knew at that time was that they were little hamsters. I told her to ask for one for her Birthday if she really wanted one. Pets forgotten...until one day my sister in law Shanda said that she had heard on the radio about these Zhu Zhu pets and how no one can get them. She said I better check it out or I wouldn't get one for Makayla. Sure enough after going online to Walmart.com and Target.com etc. I discovered the same thing. OUT OF STOCK! I heard that they had them on Amazon.com so I decided to try there. In Walmart stores the little pets are $8.00. When I checked at Amazon I was happy to find that they had them but not so happy when I saw that they wanted $45 for them. Are you kidding me? I checked out ebay and discovered the same thing. They were selling like hotcakes. I went over to Walmart just on the off chance they had some. When I asked the lady about them she said, "we got a shipment on Sunday but they were gone immediately when a lady from Vegas came out and bought them all up." They now had a "limit 2 per customer" sign hanging in the empty shelves. She told me to check back because they would probably get more in. Almost everyday I checked, or Joe checked or any one of many different people checked for me but no luck. I called my Mom and asked her to check in her town but no luck. I finally told Makayla and she said that it was okay she would just ask for it for Christmas. (GREAT!) I thought for sure we would be able to get one by Christmas time...I thought! After finishing all of the Christmas shopping I finally went to Makayla and said, "We have looked all over and no one has the Zhu Zhu pets." She said, "that's okay, mom...you may not be able to get it but Santa can!" Now what was I to do? It was the first thing on the Christmas list and she knew that she would get one from Santa. I had pretty much given up hope until my brother called me to tell me that Walmart had a sign up at the front of the store that said they would be selling 40 pets a day for three days starting a 7 am the following day. This is where the story gets funny! Knowing how crazy it can be the day after Thanksgiving shopping or when things are in high demand Jeff thought I should get there plenty early. We had heard that they were supposedly lining up at the Walmarts in Vegas. I wasn't willing to wait all night at Walmart so I decided I would get up at 4am. The catch was that you could only have one per customer. I knew I atleast needed two because Emily had jumped on the band wagon and wanted one. To be safe I decided to get three. That meant begging my brother and nephew to get up at that crazy hour and stand in line with me. We met at Walmart at 4am to find that no one else was there. We were #'s 1, 2, and 3 in line. All of the night workers kept coming by asking if they could help us and giving us some crazy looks when we told them what we were doing. (Not everyone had heard of these and were dying to get one?) At 5:30 the next two people showed up and by 7am there was a total of 13 people. A lot of jokes were made that morning but we got three different pets.


That should be the end of the story but it's not. Come to find out while waiting in line that day that there are accesories that go with the little pets. (ie. cars, hamster wheels, cars, balls, homes, etc.) They hook together and make a little community. We were able to get a few things at Walmart (only because we were first) but they did not have any cars or the wheel that we decided was a must have. The lady behind us in line tipped us off that there were accessories at CVS pharmacy but they didn't open until 7am. As soon as we got our pets we headed over to find that yes, they had accessories and they also had gotten a shipment of pets in and had those there too. Yes it is true we could have calmly walked in at 7 and gotten three pets. We had a good laugh. Unfortunately, they did not have the wheel or cars that we wanted. After showering Jeff, Ryan and I headed to Vegas for some Christmas shopping. We saw a CVS on a corner and decided to run in and see if they had what we wanted. They had some but not we wanted. By that time we were on a serious mission NINE CVS stores later we found what we were looking for.


The kicker of it all was that my brother ran to the CVS store the following day where we live; they had gotten another shipment in with all of the accessories we were looking for.


All we could do was laugh. And, it really didn't matter because there were three pets and accessories under the Christmas tree. The reaction from our kids was totally worth it and Makayla said, "See mom, I told you Santa would be able to get them!" PHEW!

No comments: