Monday, November 8, 2010

I appreciate her so much more...

Until I became a mother I don't think I truly appreciated her...

and when I became a mother of four, just like her, I appreciated her so much more...

My mother...

I wrote her a letter recently expressing my feelings because until now I don't really think I had any idea.
-the late nights working on projects
-the stretch marks... new ones with every baby
-the catch phrase "the kitchen is closed!"
-the drive to be at every dance recital, soccer game, pack meeting, etc. (the last being the hardest)
-the desire to be involved in scouts only because you want your son to have a good experience
-the most frustration I have ever felt and the greatest love and joy at the same time.
-the once really great wardrobe now in much smaller kid sizes
-the ability to handle blood in any situation
-an understanding of why my hair looked like it did in second grade. (girls definitely have a style of their own)
-a deep sense of gratitude for having these wonderful little people in your life.

I have gotten to see my mother several times since Joshua was born and I love watching her interact with him. She is so sweet and I can see the love she has for my children in the way she plays with them, the presents she brings, the time she reads and does homework, the endless games of bingo and the exhaustion on her face when she leaves.

More and more everyday I find myself laughing because I just said something that my mother would say when I was growing up (sometimes the lines that I swore I would never use), or I catch myself dancing crazy to see the kids smile just like she did, or laughing like a witch to see the kids surprised faces the way she would. I now understand why we got celery when we were "starving" after we brushed our teeth. I get it Mom! Thanks for being so great! Love you!

No comments: